Monday, March 1, 2010

Brief Update

I swear this will be short:

I just completed a trade to bolster my pitching staff and add some OF depth:

I give up:

Jorge Cantu and Joakim Soria

I get:


Quick thoughts:

-By giving up Soria (a top-5 closer) I've officially given up on the saves category. This is a risky ploy, but I've seen it work before. I'll need to re-tool my roster a little bit, and I'll definitely need to trade a 1B for a starting pitcher (I have a trade in the works to give up Lance Berkman for Chad Billingsley). I need to freaking kill the other 4 pitching categories (Wins, Ks, ERA, WHIP) to do well, and have a diesel offense, which I am close to having, especially now with Heyward, who's an absolute stud, and keeps for 2.

-Cantu was completely expendable. Kung Fu Panda is my starting 3B, and he's a great one. Jhonny Peralta functions serviceably as a backup, so Cantu is pretty much dead weight on my team.

-Burnett gives me the Ks and wins I need mentioned above. His ERA and WHIP aren't great, but hopefully he'll improve on those after a year under the lights of Yankee Stadium and that big ring around his finger.

-Heyward is really the key to this deal for me. He'll be in the majors on Opening Day or soon after, he keeps for just $2. He's considered one of the best two prospects in baseball (I have the other too) by reputable sources (examples here, here, here and here). He keeps for $2, he is only 20, and he gives me the awe-inspiring power-speed combo I'm just a sucker for (see: Granderson, Curtis).

In case you haven't figured it out, I love this deal. Comment away on your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment