Tuesday, March 2, 2010

An Introduction

One of the few things I can remember from being five years old is something that still haunts me to this day. As someone who has lived right outside of Philadelphia his entire life I am talking about Joe Carter's walk off home run against the Phillies in game six of the 1993 World Series. In the 16 plus years after that all too memorable home run, Phillies fans have seen many more downs than ups, but these downs are what has made the past three seasons so special.

No matter what, a constant of every summer for many Philadelphians until the last one was hearing the unmistakable voice of longtime announcer Harry Kalas. I can recall wondering if a team with Bobby Abreu, Jim Thome and Jose Mesa could pull it together. I can more vividly recall barely knowing how to respond when Brad Lidge struck out Eric Hinske to win the 2008 World Series. I still do not know how to respond to how bad Lidge was last season.

One of the things I missed the most about being home when I was abroad last semester (I left the U.S. in July) was being able to watch my favorite team at a normal time. The NLCS last season was particularly brutal considering a few of the games started at 5:30 in the morning and I would have a full day of class afterward, but for this team I gladly woke up and then struggled to stay awake in my classes. Due to the fact that I was not always able to watch the Phillies last season I resorted to reading articles about the team and learned a lot from it.

I look forward to giving you my thoughts on the upcoming season, which looks as if it should be another exciting one.

No comments:

Post a Comment