Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Second Auction Results

My second and final league roster is set (for now) after my first ever Skype auction. Here were my keepers (A * indicates I kept them twice and can't keep them again):

Tommy Hanson - 1
Matt Garza - 1*
Scott Baker - 1*
Jair Jurrjens - 1*
Andre Ethier - 13
Ryan Zimmerman - 10
Elvis Andrus - 1

I'll try to keep this shorter than last time, so here's some quick thoughts on my keepers: I have a young ace (Hanson) for this year and next for $1. Baller. I have two guys who hit 30 homers with 100 RBI last year for 23 combined. I have four young, but experienced and reliable pitchers, and Elvis Andrus so I don't have to worry about the abysmally shallow shortstop position, even though he's nothing to write home about yet.

Here's my roster after the auction:

C - Mike Napoli - 1
1B - Billy Butler - 15
OF - Matt Holliday - 37
OF - Shane Victorino - 12
Util - Jason Heyward - 8
Bench (All worth two)

P - Tim Lincecum - 43
P - Phil Hughes - 8
P - Mike Gonzalez - 11
P - Brian Wilson - 13
P - Edwin Jackson - 13

Bench

I'll do a comparative breakdown of my two teams later in the week, but right now, I love them both. The overlaps are Hughes, Granderson, Cabrera, Heyward and Baker. Those are good guys to have on multiple teams. Hughes is about 98% on the Yankees' fifth spot in the rotation, Baker had an atrocious April but the rest of his year was stellar, Heyward is the best prospect in baseball, Granderson could hit 40 homers in Yankee Stadium, and Cabrera is a very cheap, solid player who's eligible at both 2B and SS.

I got Tim Lincecum to open the auction, and actually got him relatively cheap. Dan Haren and CC Sabathia both went for 37, Halladay and Felix Hernandez were both kept, and after that the pitching got insanely pricey. Hamels (who you'll remember I got for 20 in my other league) went for 33, Peavy (who I got for 19 a few weeks ago) went for 28. Josh Beckett went for 33. So did Johan Santana. Chad Billingsley, he of the 4.03 ERA and 1.32 WHIP last year, went for 28. Crazy expensive.

I also went for closers in this league, and succeeded. I waited until near the end of the auction, and got three closers who have spots locked up with strikeout stuff for cheap. They all should get 30+ saves barring injury (which admittedly is a huge risk, especially for Gonzalez), which will be good enough for 4-7 points, which is good enough for what I paid for.

I'm going to try and get another power bat in the coming weeks before the season. Holliday, Zimmerman, Ethier and Granderson are good, and I love Cuddyer for three (the man hit 32 homers and is in his prime at 31), but Butler at first base is weak-ish, so I'm going to try to spin Heyward/Taylor/Escobar and a pitcher for a power hitter. Critique my new team in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment